When alumni return to school, it is always a very moving occasion and stirs lots of memories. Since Brillantmont International School is 140 years old soon, there are many people across the world whose lives were touched by a stay in our walls. Let’s take a quick look back at some of the defining moments in the BM story.
In 1882 Brillantmont was founded by Paul and Berthe Heubi, the great grandparents of the Frei family, the current owners of the school.
The school was not in its current site but was at the Château de Lutry, a small village a few kilometres from the current site and was called Pensionnat Heubi.
Considered too rustic and far from everything, the family bought the land on which Brillantmont sits and from 1896, the school we know and love today took shape in its current format. The first building was Château, soon followed by today’s Villa (which for some years was known as Dix-Huit), reached by the passarelle gallery whilst Monribeau was built in 1910. The architect was Francis Isoz, who also built the lovely Lausanne hotel Château d’Ouchy.
Initially a finishing school for girls, the school’s growth and the provenance of the students has always reflected the geo-political world. The original 20 students in 1890 from England, Italy, Switzerland, Germany and Russia quickly rose to nearly 80 in 1912 but then dropped significantly during World War 1 and World War 2.
Over the years, certain countries closed up whilst others opened – Russia, Iran, India, China. Regardless of where the students came from, they always sought an international experience, to learn about other cultures and languages and from 1948 onwards, were able to take British A Levels. Boys were admitted into the day school in the 1970s and joined the boarding school from 1991.
The school campus has retained its staggering beauty though the vineyards surrounding Brillantmont are now an exclusive residential area. Access to the dynamic, lively city is appreciated by all members of our community. The most recent modification to the school campus is our Multipurpose Hall, which was built in 2012 and provides an incredible space for sports, music, schools events, whilst respecting the original layout of the campus and preserving our 300 year old cedar tree, guardian to Brillantmont’s history.
As Brillantmont looks forward to its 140th anniversary in 2022, we celebrate a school steeped in history, a home to so many over the years, privileged to have helped so many young people on their journeys in life.
Brillantmont International School
Founded in 1882, Brillantmont International School is one of the oldest boarding schools in Switzerland and is still owned and run by the founding family.
The school welcomes boarding and day students, aged 13-18 (Grades 8-12) from over 30 nationalities. Students follow stimulating courses leading to internationally recognised examinations (British IGCSE, A Level; American High School Diploma with SAT and IELTS).
Want to enrol your child at the Brillantmont International School.
Find out more about our School Year Programme here!